In pop music as in love, the only Sure Thing is that there are no sure things. (And before anyone says anything, yes, I do realize that statement is self-contradictory.) Judging by the positive Booth feedback the up-and-coming crooner (and recent video interviewee) has received thus far, though, Miguel is pretty damn close. On single numéro deux, the singer trades the hip-hop-informed vibes of lead effort/title track All I Want Is You for something a little more haunting; backed by Happy Perez’ headphone-worthy blend of swirling synths, ringing guitar chords and understated percussion (complete with an unexpected, but dope chopped-n-screwed hook), Miguel expresses the enduring, invincible power of his love for a special girl. While I doubt SAT scorers would approve of some of his analogical reasoning (cigarette is to smoker as news is to reporter?!) the artist gets a perfect 2400 where passion and soul are concerned. Like what you’re hearing? More eclectically fresh R&B goodness awaits on All I Want Is You (the album), released Nov. 30 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.