If I can be excused a little name dropping, I ran into fast rising emcee Gilbere Forte’ during last weekend’s Grammy festivities and frankly it’s not hard to picture the man on the other side of the fence someday, acceptance speech in hand; especially if he continues to turn out material like Hard Way (Remix). Here Salaam Remi’s pounding yet haunting beat is the same, as are Miguel’s powerfully understated lyrics, are left essentially untouched, meaning the real addition here are Forte’s bars. In usual Gilbere fashion, the Philly representative drops off two smooth but deeper-than-they-may-initially-appear verses, proving he has the versatility to sound as at home on r&b/pop as on bangers (like Push the Bar). Nothing good comes easy, so if you like doing things the hard way be sure to cop both Miguel’s All I Want Is You album, out now, and Forte’s new mixtape Eyes of Veritas, which dropped last week. Something tells me there might be a gramophone or two in store for both artists, but in the meantime…
Written by Nathan S. on 02/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.