When you’re in the midst of a romantic dry spell, attractive members of the opposite sex can come to seem so distant and unattainable that it makes you hate them just a little bit—and want them all the more. Of course, a gentleman as suave and dapper as Miguel wouldn’t know anything about that, would he? Evidently he does. The latest single off the RCA crooner’s 2010 debut (co-written with Mac Robinson and Brian Warfield) finds him rolling solo dolo, cursing the beautiful women who call to mind memories of the romantic bliss that lies just outside his grasp: “Girls Like You remind me that I’m lonely.” Quickie producer Fisticuffs reprises his role behind the boards, crafting a catchy blend of stop-start percussion and atmospheric synth chords to back the singer as he pines for someone to occupy the other side of his bed—and the other side of the Connect 4 board. Sure to elicit plenty of offers from potential bedmates and game partners (that is, if the artist hasn’t sorted that out already), Girls Like You is just one of many R&B bangers to be found on Miguel’s All I Want Is You LP, available now from record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 12/1/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.