No, your eyes don’t deceive you; Miguel‘s latest feature on our pages is indeed a rendition of Elton John’s smash-hit single, Bennie and the Jets. Featured, along with covers from the likes of Emeli Sandé and Fall Out Boy, on a forthcoming 40th anniversary re-release of John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road LP, this modernized take on the 1973 cut feels surprisingly natural. The RCA Records R&B heavyweight exhibits plenty of daring on the production tip, incorporating throbbing synth-bass, hi-hat rolls and ambient crowd-noise loops into his eclectic beat. His always-charming vocals, on the other hand, drive home the original tune’s timelessness. To cap it all off, Maybach Music spitter Wale (Miguel’s collaborator on Lotus Flower Bomb) grabs the mic to deliver a melodically-flowed closing 16. After a listen to this cover, are you interested in getting better acquainted with Sir Elton John? Then be sure to cop the deluxe edition of his seventh studio album, due out Tuesday, March 25.
Written by richard on 03/21/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.