No, your eyes don’t deceive you; Miguel‘s latest feature on our pages is indeed a rendition of Elton John’s smash-hit single, Bennie and the Jets. Featured, along with covers from the likes of Emeli Sandé and Fall Out Boy, on a forthcoming 40th anniversary re-release of John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road LP, this modernized take on the 1973 cut feels surprisingly natural. The RCA Records R&B heavyweight exhibits plenty of daring on the production tip, incorporating throbbing synth-bass, hi-hat rolls and ambient crowd-noise loops into his eclectic beat. His always-charming vocals, on the other hand, drive home the original tune’s timelessness. To cap it all off, Maybach Music spitter Wale (Miguel’s collaborator on Lotus Flower Bomb) grabs the mic to deliver a melodically-flowed closing 16. After a listen to this cover, are you interested in getting better acquainted with Sir Elton John? Then be sure to cop the deluxe edition of his seventh studio album, due out Tuesday, March 25.
Written by richard on 03/21/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.