Once upon a time, the only thing Miguel required in order to be happy was the love of a certain woman; as he put it on the title track off his debut set, “All I Want Is You.” As so often happens, though, a taste of success has only whet his appetite. On one of three original cuts featured on his newly-released EP, the RCA signee revises his previous statement, announcing “I want it ...ALL.” And, if that sounds selfish to you, well, “f*ck it, everybody’s selfish.” Miguel handles both vocal and production duties on this moody yet driving jam, cooking up an intricately-textured synth beat to back him as he expresses his insatiable hunger for status and acclaim. Even more than increasing his own cachet, however, the crooner wants to create a community of fellow innovators: “Round up people I can build with / Champion the ones that I’m near most / Fellow outcasts and weirdos…” Exhibiting a funky, left-of-center intensity reminiscent of Prince or The-Dream, this jam showcases an intriguing new side of the Booth-acclaimed singer. If this cut has you wondering what else Miguel’s got up his sleeve, you can satisfy your curiosity by downloading his Art Dealer Chic Vol. 2 EP, availble now for the low, low price of free.
Written by richard on 04/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Want Is You" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.