According to a press release, Booth newcomer MidaZ’ new project is the magnum opus of an ill-fated funk group called the El MidaZ Affair, recorded back in 1973 and tragically lost… until now! Other sources report that the project is a collaboration between the Floridian emcee and retro funk-fusion group El Michel Affair. Though the second version may be a bit more plausible, the elaborate, fictional backstory is nothing if not creative – and the innovative touch is equally evident on Creation, the first leak off the project. Backed by a vintage live-band groove that, if I hadn’t done my research, I would have assumed was sampled, the underground emcee spits bars packed with involuted flows and internally-rhymed quotables: “B*tch, don’t act like I won’t squeeze the air out your life like bagpipes, ‘cause I will/ Only thing that it’ll say in my will: ‘You know all them b*tch n*ggas?’ Make sure all them guys is killed’” If this left-of-center track impresses you as much as it did me, be sure to download a copy of MidaZ’ latest mixtape, set to debut exclusively at potholesinmyblog.com on January 5th, 2010.
Written by richard on 12/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.