Light Up, the Jay-Z-assisted joint off Drake‘s hugely successful Thank Me Later LP, wasn’t really about the herb, and neither is this new, freestyled version from Mickey Factz – but, hey, why sweat the details? Those who follow the Big Apple rapper’s lead and spark one up during the intro (don’t do drugs, kids) will undoubtedly appreciate this spacey joint (no pun intended) all the more. Over Noah “40” Shebib and Tone Mason moody, reverb-drenched production, Factz drops bars considerably gritter than Drizzy’s, but no less appealing, showing an unmatched knack for mixing braggadocious aggression with erudition: “I don’t need fakers, I’m so popular / I’m reading lost words out of the Apocrypha…” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find this dope freestyle and much more on Factz’ bluntly-titled I’m Better Than You street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net sometime this summer. And if you don’t, well, I think the artist’s said everything he has to say to you on his current single, the hater-dedicated Paradise.
Listen to More: Mickey Factz
Written by richard on 06/30/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)