Light Up, the Jay-Z-assisted joint off Drake‘s hugely successful Thank Me Later LP, wasn’t really about the herb, and neither is this new, freestyled version from Mickey Factz – but, hey, why sweat the details? Those who follow the Big Apple rapper’s lead and spark one up during the intro (don’t do drugs, kids) will undoubtedly appreciate this spacey joint (no pun intended) all the more. Over Noah “40” Shebib and Tone Mason moody, reverb-drenched production, Factz drops bars considerably gritter than Drizzy’s, but no less appealing, showing an unmatched knack for mixing braggadocious aggression with erudition: “I don’t need fakers, I’m so popular / I’m reading lost words out of the Apocrypha…” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find this dope freestyle and much more on Factz’ bluntly-titled I’m Better Than You street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net sometime this summer. And if you don’t, well, I think the artist’s said everything he has to say to you on his current single, the hater-dedicated Paradise.
Written by richard on 06/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.