Light Up, the Jay-Z-assisted joint off Drake‘s hugely successful Thank Me Later LP, wasn’t really about the herb, and neither is this new, freestyled version from Mickey Factz – but, hey, why sweat the details? Those who follow the Big Apple rapper’s lead and spark one up during the intro (don’t do drugs, kids) will undoubtedly appreciate this spacey joint (no pun intended) all the more. Over Noah “40” Shebib and Tone Mason moody, reverb-drenched production, Factz drops bars considerably gritter than Drizzy’s, but no less appealing, showing an unmatched knack for mixing braggadocious aggression with erudition: “I don’t need fakers, I’m so popular / I’m reading lost words out of the Apocrypha…” If you like what you’re hearing, you can find this dope freestyle and much more on Factz’ bluntly-titled I’m Better Than You street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net sometime this summer. And if you don’t, well, I think the artist’s said everything he has to say to you on his current single, the hater-dedicated Paradise.
Written by richard on 06/30/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.