Who Else could give us a single just a month removed from their DJBooth Freestyle Series feature? Well, that’s an easy one, since there is only one answer; it’s Mick Jenkins. Just four weeks after the release of his flame freestyle, Steam, Jenkins returns with a record from his highly-anticipated (at least by us) project, The Water[s]. Setting the stage on Who Else is producer TJ Osinulu, who cooks up a slurred beat that is driven by rattling drums and some lurching, mysterious samples. Though the beat has some muffled effects, it is Jenkins voice that claps like thunder. His gritty, forceful delivery really makes each bar stand out and showcases how much strength this young emcee has in his verbage. Be sure to check back with The DJBooth for more form Mick as we approach the June 24, release date of The Water[s].
Written by Lucas G. on 05/7/14
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Roads" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.