Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries were the work of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The 16th entry in the relaunched series comes courtesy of Mick Jenkins, the Midwestern spitter who has impressed our readers with 2014 singles Martyrs and Free Nation (Rebel Soldier pt. 2). On Steam, TJay Beats’ sparse, whirring production chops back the Chi-Town native as he aggressively and confidently spits bar after bar. Fred Lozano provides original artwork to accompany the release. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Jenkins is preparing to release his new project, The Water[s], this summer.
Written by DJ Z on 04/16/14
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Roads" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)