Mick Jenkins may dub himself “young Lazarus” on his latest feature, but don’t get it twisted: the record is less a return from the dead than the continuation of an ongoing rise to prominence. Earlier this year, the Chicago repper dropped off a reader-acclaimed contribution to the DJBooth freestyle series, and he was recently selected as one of our “Top Prospects” this quarter. The newly-signed, Cinematic Music Group buzzmaker stays killing it on this freshly-released single, lacing Chuck Strangers‘s wavy, guitar-laced production with gruffly-flowed lyrical flames. The Water[s] is slated to drop independently, both for free and digital purchase, on Tuesday, August 12. In the meantime, of course, we’ll keep you supplied with the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 07/16/14
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Roads" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.