For many youths growing up in Southside Chicago, every day is a fight to survive. Even so, some dreamers manage to claw their way out of the street and make their mark on the world. Mick Jenkins clearly aspires to be one of those success stories, as he makes clear on new mixtape single Free Nation (Rebel Soldier pt. 2). The sequel to a joint off 2013’s Trees & Truths tape, this pensive cut finds 6thBoro serving up a pensive, piano-led beat as the headliner reminisces about his strife-ridden Windy City upbringing and assures listeners that his rise to prominence is just a matter of time. Is this passionate up-and-comer, as he claims on the back, the “next best out the Chi?” If you think so, keep it locked for release details on his currently-unscheduled The Water[s] street album, as well as watching our front page for his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Roads" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.