Has it really been a whole quarter-century since Run-DMC unleashed their groundbreaking third album, Raising Hell, upon the unsuspecting public? To answer my own rhetorical question: yes, yes it has. To celebrate the seminal set’s 25-year anniversary, heavyweight DJ Mick Boogie has called up his most talented connects to craft an all-star tribute project. Newly-leaked cut Down With the King 2011, a new-school remake of the title track off Run-DMC’s sixth LP, finds 6th Sense putting his own spin on Pete Rock’s instrumental. Like Rock on the original, the Booth-approved beatsmith steps out from behind the boards to deliver a guest verse, spitting alongside Brooklyn representers Nitty Scott, MC and Tanya Morgan (Donwill and Von Pea). In addition to appearing on Boogie’s aforementioned project, set for release tomorrow, Down With the King 2011 is slated for inclusion on Nitty’s 2DopeBoyz-exclusive Doobies x Popsicle Sticks mixtape, dropping tonight at midnight. Heads in the NYC area will have the chance to get their pictures taken with DMC and hear a DJ set by Mick Boogie in a Friday night event at SoHo’s Adidas Originals store. Click here for further details!
Written by richard on 11/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.