Get ready to feel old: it’s been just shy of five years since Michelle Williams dropped her junior album, Nathan S.’ review of which was her last feature on our pages. Yesterday, the Destiny’s Child alumnus made her long, long, long-awaited return to the solo hustle with the release of If We Had Your Eyes, the first official single off LP number four. In contrast to the pop/dance experimentation that dominated Unexpected, this cut harks back to Williams’ gospel-informed early material in both sound and subject matter. Backed by Harmony Samuels’ simple, yet elegant string boardwork, the singer reflects on the suffering that goes unnoticed when we’re preoccupied with our own concerns. As she details her struggle to look at others through the eyes of God, she showcases a vocal presence undiminished by that half-decade of (relative) inactivity. Now that Williams is back, are you craving more? Then watch our pages for the latest on the forthcoming set, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/25/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Break The Dawn" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.