Get ready to feel old: it’s been just shy of five years since Michelle Williams dropped her junior album, Nathan S.’ review of which was her last feature on our pages. Yesterday, the Destiny’s Child alumnus made her long, long, long-awaited return to the solo hustle with the release of If We Had Your Eyes, the first official single off LP number four. In contrast to the pop/dance experimentation that dominated Unexpected, this cut harks back to Williams’ gospel-informed early material in both sound and subject matter. Backed by Harmony Samuels’ simple, yet elegant string boardwork, the singer reflects on the suffering that goes unnoticed when we’re preoccupied with our own concerns. As she details her struggle to look at others through the eyes of God, she showcases a vocal presence undiminished by that half-decade of (relative) inactivity. Now that Williams is back, are you craving more? Then watch our pages for the latest on the forthcoming set, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/25/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Break The Dawn" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.