Get ready to feel old: it’s been just shy of five years since Michelle Williams dropped her junior album, Nathan S.’ review of which was her last feature on our pages. Yesterday, the Destiny’s Child alumnus made her long, long, long-awaited return to the solo hustle with the release of If We Had Your Eyes, the first official single off LP number four. In contrast to the pop/dance experimentation that dominated Unexpected, this cut harks back to Williams’ gospel-informed early material in both sound and subject matter. Backed by Harmony Samuels’ simple, yet elegant string boardwork, the singer reflects on the suffering that goes unnoticed when we’re preoccupied with our own concerns. As she details her struggle to look at others through the eyes of God, she showcases a vocal presence undiminished by that half-decade of (relative) inactivity. Now that Williams is back, are you craving more? Then watch our pages for the latest on the forthcoming set, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/25/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Break The Dawn" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.