Get ready to feel old: it’s been just shy of five years since Michelle Williams dropped her junior album, Nathan S.’ review of which was her last feature on our pages. Yesterday, the Destiny’s Child alumnus made her long, long, long-awaited return to the solo hustle with the release of If We Had Your Eyes, the first official single off LP number four. In contrast to the pop/dance experimentation that dominated Unexpected, this cut harks back to Williams’ gospel-informed early material in both sound and subject matter. Backed by Harmony Samuels’ simple, yet elegant string boardwork, the singer reflects on the suffering that goes unnoticed when we’re preoccupied with our own concerns. As she details her struggle to look at others through the eyes of God, she showcases a vocal presence undiminished by that half-decade of (relative) inactivity. Now that Williams is back, are you craving more? Then watch our pages for the latest on the forthcoming set, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/25/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Break The Dawn" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.