As was made clear by the many beatsmiths who sent the Booth their thoughts following the King of Pop’s death, Michael’s Jackson‘s influence was equally felt on both sides of the boards. Now, some of the game’s biggest producers have joined forces with Universal Motown to pay tribute to the late great by remixing a few of his classics. Stargate, the production duo best known for cowriting and producing Beyoncé‘s hit single, Irreplaceable, have taken a trip back to MJ’s early days to tackle Skywriter, the sweeping title track off the Jackson 5’s sixth LP. On their revamp, Tor Erik Hermansen and Mikkel S. Eriksen pile on the synths and add a punchier, more danceable backbeat, retaining the original’s retro-futuristic feel but incorporating elements from the ‘80s and today. It’s a fittingly era-bridging tribute, and a catchy reminder that, even before MJ was a full-grown pop icon, he was the greatest child singer of all time. Fans can find this track as well as remixes by Polow Da Don, Dallas Austin, the Neptunes, and Salaam Remi on Michael Jackson Remix Suite 1, out now online.
Written by richard on 08/9/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billie Jean (Kanye West Remix)" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.