As was made clear by the many beatsmiths who sent the Booth their thoughts following the King of Pop’s death, Michael’s Jackson‘s influence was equally felt on both sides of the boards. Now, some of the game’s biggest producers have joined forces with Universal Motown to pay tribute to the late great by remixing a few of his classics. Stargate, the production duo best known for cowriting and producing Beyoncé‘s hit single, Irreplaceable, have taken a trip back to MJ’s early days to tackle Skywriter, the sweeping title track off the Jackson 5’s sixth LP. On their revamp, Tor Erik Hermansen and Mikkel S. Eriksen pile on the synths and add a punchier, more danceable backbeat, retaining the original’s retro-futuristic feel but incorporating elements from the ‘80s and today. It’s a fittingly era-bridging tribute, and a catchy reminder that, even before MJ was a full-grown pop icon, he was the greatest child singer of all time. Fans can find this track as well as remixes by Polow Da Don, Dallas Austin, the Neptunes, and Salaam Remi on Michael Jackson Remix Suite 1, out now online.
Written by richard on 08/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billie Jean (Kanye West Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.