There’s always a reason why some artists leave tracks on the cutting room floor. Maybe the production was a little blah, perhaps lyrics just didn’t feel special, or maybe they couldn’t get the vocals to sound just right. Unfortunately, with the release of Michael Jackson’s new (recorded in 2007) posthumous single, Breaking News, all of those seem like reasons why Michael kept this one under wraps while he was living. For starters, it’s surprising to hear the normally on point Teddy Riley craft such a bland beat to back Michael’s minimalistic vocals. In fact, there is some dispute as to whether this is even Jackson’s voice or an imposter’s, as his family claims. I’m pretty sure it’s him, but I’d be happy to discover it wasn’t, because this is not a memory I want to attach to the musical genius that is MJ. Something tells me that if he were still around, he’s be too much of a perfectionist to let this song see the light of day. Hopefully the rest of the unreleased material on his upcoming album, Michael, will sound better once it arrives on December 14.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 11/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billie Jean (Kanye West Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.