In the words of Shakespeare, dost mine ears deceive me? Could it be? Hast some brave soul attempted to remake Ginuwine’s ’96 R&B jam Pony? Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly a Shakespeare quote, but the points the same; holy s**t, Michael Francis just dropped his version of Pony for 2012. When you’re dealing with a song so classic I asked Ginuwine play it at my wedding - no, really - I’m going to be wary, but I have to admit – Michael Francis has really pulled it off. Producer Cito on the Beat only tweaks the original beat, chopping that famous synth line and giving the percussion a more (appropriately) riding feel. But on a song like this all the production mastery in the world couldn’t cover sub-par vocals and Francis delivers, hitting the same steamy notes and placing the same emphatic flairs as the original. While Pony 2012 is a stand alone single, those eager to jump on more Michael Francis music should keep an ear out for his upcoming album, Cold Heart Chronicle, which lucky listeners can cop an advanced copy of right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Greatest Feeling" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.