In the words of Shakespeare, dost mine ears deceive me? Could it be? Hast some brave soul attempted to remake Ginuwine’s ’96 R&B jam Pony? Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly a Shakespeare quote, but the points the same; holy s**t, Michael Francis just dropped his version of Pony for 2012. When you’re dealing with a song so classic I asked Ginuwine play it at my wedding - no, really - I’m going to be wary, but I have to admit – Michael Francis has really pulled it off. Producer Cito on the Beat only tweaks the original beat, chopping that famous synth line and giving the percussion a more (appropriately) riding feel. But on a song like this all the production mastery in the world couldn’t cover sub-par vocals and Francis delivers, hitting the same steamy notes and placing the same emphatic flairs as the original. While Pony 2012 is a stand alone single, those eager to jump on more Michael Francis music should keep an ear out for his upcoming album, Cold Heart Chronicle, which lucky listeners can cop an advanced copy of right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Greatest Feeling" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.