In a recent interview, international hip-hop/pop starlet M.I.A. stated that she intended her latest full-length to sound like a “digital ruckus.” Well, as something of an expert on ruckuses of the musical variety, I’m happy to say that the official lead single, XXXO, fits that description to a tee. Could I describe the ruckus? Why, yes, yes I can. Presented here in newly-remixed form, this dancefloor-ready selection finds producers Rusko and Blaqstarr layering swirling synth arpeggios and reverb-drenched percussion as M.I.A engages in some sing-rapped sloganeering around the topics of sex, identity and Twitter. The real news in regard to this version of the track is, of course, the guest contributor: none other than J. Hova hops on board for the remix, expanding upon the headliner’s technological musings and, for no apparent reason, resurrecting the term “metrosexual” in his brisk closing verse. If this sounds like your kind of ruckus, it’s a good bet you’ll find more to vibe out to on Maya (or /\/\ /\ Y /\, if you wanna be fancy) when it arrives on store shelves July 20.
Written by richard on 06/13/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boyz (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)