In a recent interview, international hip-hop/pop starlet M.I.A. stated that she intended her latest full-length to sound like a “digital ruckus.” Well, as something of an expert on ruckuses of the musical variety, I’m happy to say that the official lead single, XXXO, fits that description to a tee. Could I describe the ruckus? Why, yes, yes I can. Presented here in newly-remixed form, this dancefloor-ready selection finds producers Rusko and Blaqstarr layering swirling synth arpeggios and reverb-drenched percussion as M.I.A engages in some sing-rapped sloganeering around the topics of sex, identity and Twitter. The real news in regard to this version of the track is, of course, the guest contributor: none other than J. Hova hops on board for the remix, expanding upon the headliner’s technological musings and, for no apparent reason, resurrecting the term “metrosexual” in his brisk closing verse. If this sounds like your kind of ruckus, it’s a good bet you’ll find more to vibe out to on Maya (or /\/\ /\ Y /\, if you wanna be fancy) when it arrives on store shelves July 20.
Written by richard on 06/13/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boyz (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.