When M.I.A. first burst onto the scene way back when she was the consummate outsider, an artists who’s look and sound we’ve never really seen or heard before. But since then she’s become the consummate insider’s outsider, still as eager to defy categorization as ever but also performing next to rap’s biggest names and doing tracks with Madonna. Don’t get it twisted though, Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam is still living life alongside the Bad Girls of the world. For her new single M.I.A. recruits Timbaland protégé Danja for yet another eclectic beat that blends middle eastern flavors sprinkled with banging hip-hop percussion. Vocally M.I.A. somehow manages to be monotone and widly stylized, in particular throwing down an anthemic bridge that I’m betting will become a favorite sample for hip-hop producers in the coming months (every rapper now wishes they’d come up with that “my chain hits the chairs” line). We can expect more doses of unpredictable music from as we move closer to M.I.A.’s forthcoming, currently untitled album, as well as that aforementioned Madonna collaboration, Give Me All Your Luvin, set to drop this Friday, February 3.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boyz (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.