When M.I.A. first burst onto the scene way back when she was the consummate outsider, an artists who’s look and sound we’ve never really seen or heard before. But since then she’s become the consummate insider’s outsider, still as eager to defy categorization as ever but also performing next to rap’s biggest names and doing tracks with Madonna. Don’t get it twisted though, Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam is still living life alongside the Bad Girls of the world. For her new single M.I.A. recruits Timbaland protégé Danja for yet another eclectic beat that blends middle eastern flavors sprinkled with banging hip-hop percussion. Vocally M.I.A. somehow manages to be monotone and widly stylized, in particular throwing down an anthemic bridge that I’m betting will become a favorite sample for hip-hop producers in the coming months (every rapper now wishes they’d come up with that “my chain hits the chairs” line). We can expect more doses of unpredictable music from as we move closer to M.I.A.’s forthcoming, currently untitled album, as well as that aforementioned Madonna collaboration, Give Me All Your Luvin, set to drop this Friday, February 3.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boyz (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.