When M.I.A. first burst onto the scene way back when she was the consummate outsider, an artists who’s look and sound we’ve never really seen or heard before. But since then she’s become the consummate insider’s outsider, still as eager to defy categorization as ever but also performing next to rap’s biggest names and doing tracks with Madonna. Don’t get it twisted though, Mathangi “Maya” Arulpragasam is still living life alongside the Bad Girls of the world. For her new single M.I.A. recruits Timbaland protégé Danja for yet another eclectic beat that blends middle eastern flavors sprinkled with banging hip-hop percussion. Vocally M.I.A. somehow manages to be monotone and widly stylized, in particular throwing down an anthemic bridge that I’m betting will become a favorite sample for hip-hop producers in the coming months (every rapper now wishes they’d come up with that “my chain hits the chairs” line). We can expect more doses of unpredictable music from as we move closer to M.I.A.’s forthcoming, currently untitled album, as well as that aforementioned Madonna collaboration, Give Me All Your Luvin, set to drop this Friday, February 3.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Boyz (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.