Nearly a year has passed since M.i. stepped into the Booth with his first feature, a cut which found him pursuing a beautiful woman (who may or may not have been a metaphor for success in the music game). In the Time since, the Austin singer/emcee seems to have been inducted into a few of life’s harsh realities – in contrast to the aforementioned joint’s cheery vibe, new single Take a Loss is a bittersweet lesson in accepting what one can’t change. While M.i. may be older and wiser, he’s not down for the count – as he explains over the elegiac, blues guitar-laced boardwork of Tyler Keyes, he’s simply learned the virtue of renouncing one battle in order to reign victorious in the war. Chi-town mainstay Mikkey Halsted backs the headliner up on the guest tip, shaking his head at life’s unfairness (using Oscar Grant’s murder as a case in point), but concluding that “it’s no justice til God judges.” If this powerful jam leaves you craving more, be sure to pick up a copy of M.i.‘s Prep Time mixtape when it drops April 7.
Written by richard on 03/23/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.