Nearly a year has passed since M.i. stepped into the Booth with his first feature, a cut which found him pursuing a beautiful woman (who may or may not have been a metaphor for success in the music game). In the Time since, the Austin singer/emcee seems to have been inducted into a few of life’s harsh realities – in contrast to the aforementioned joint’s cheery vibe, new single Take a Loss is a bittersweet lesson in accepting what one can’t change. While M.i. may be older and wiser, he’s not down for the count – as he explains over the elegiac, blues guitar-laced boardwork of Tyler Keyes, he’s simply learned the virtue of renouncing one battle in order to reign victorious in the war. Chi-town mainstay Mikkey Halsted backs the headliner up on the guest tip, shaking his head at life’s unfairness (using Oscar Grant’s murder as a case in point), but concluding that “it’s no justice til God judges.” If this powerful jam leaves you craving more, be sure to pick up a copy of M.i.‘s Prep Time mixtape when it drops April 7.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.