Nearly a year has passed since M.i. stepped into the Booth with his first feature, a cut which found him pursuing a beautiful woman (who may or may not have been a metaphor for success in the music game). In the Time since, the Austin singer/emcee seems to have been inducted into a few of life’s harsh realities – in contrast to the aforementioned joint’s cheery vibe, new single Take a Loss is a bittersweet lesson in accepting what one can’t change. While M.i. may be older and wiser, he’s not down for the count – as he explains over the elegiac, blues guitar-laced boardwork of Tyler Keyes, he’s simply learned the virtue of renouncing one battle in order to reign victorious in the war. Chi-town mainstay Mikkey Halsted backs the headliner up on the guest tip, shaking his head at life’s unfairness (using Oscar Grant’s murder as a case in point), but concluding that “it’s no justice til God judges.” If this powerful jam leaves you craving more, be sure to pick up a copy of M.i.‘s Prep Time mixtape when it drops April 7.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!