With the his next project just a day away from release, Austin emcee M.i decided to stop by and say “Hi” to his fans in the Booth—and, ever the gracious guest, he hasn’t come empty-handed. The final pre-release single off the much-anticipated set is a hazy love letter to Mary Jane. Project collaborator Tyler Keyes’ mellow keyboard loops and luxuriant brass set the mood as M.i. addresses laid-back bars to fellow lovers of the piff (including, in his younger days, Barack Obama). Singer Porche Harris provides hook and backing vocals. Though the video for this cut practically writes itself (M.i.‘s cruising around, smoking trees—boom, done.), director C. Ewing takes the road less traveled, crafting a creative narrative with a surprise ending. For this joint, previous single Write It Down, and plenty more dope material, cop M.i. and Keyes’ Pushing Keyes tape when it drops digitally this Thursday, the 16th.
Written by richard on 05/15/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.