On M.i.‘s last Booth feature, May’s After I’m Gone, the Austin rapper/producer described how his marathon recording sessions kept him from giving his girl the attention she deserved. As it turns out, the studio isn’t the only thing standing between the Austin native and the woman he loves. Newly-leaked mixtape cut Crawl Back finds him being led astray by an ex whose spell he just can’t seem to break—no matter how terrible he might feel about his indiscretions. Over his a dreamy sampling of Coldplay’s Warning Sign, M.i. offers a vivid glimpse into his guilt-wracked mindstate. Disgusted with his own dishonesty and his ability to come clean, he spits,“I’m ashamed, I’m sittin’ with the girl that I’m duckin’ / and she don’t even know that I’m sufferin’ so I blame her / And even though I’m the one that’s been f*ckin’ around I claim that I’m faithful / but I’m just like every other n*gga that played her.” Emotionally-fraught and defiantly true-to-life, this joint is sure to leave fans of hot beats and confessional rhymes amped for M.i.‘s Coldplay Sessions LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net for free download in January.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.