Back in 2009, when Mike Posner paid tribute to his Drug Dealer Girl on a hit record off his debut street album, he was too taken with the female in question to consider the potential hazards of their arrangement. With new mixtape single On Fire, MGK picks up where the Duke University grad left off, showing listeners the dark side of constant exposure to temptations—both chemical and erotic. Flowing over a backdrop of swirling synths, Chipmunk samples and ominously throbbing bass (contributed by Posner along with a raspy chorus), Kelly details how his doubts about the woman in question melted away under the force of her considerable charms, as well as her access to illicit substances. Unfortunately, her motivations turn out to be less than pure; in the middle of a marathon bedroom session, she reveals herself as a black widow, gloating over her conquest as the rapper’s body goes numb: “I’m the same one sellin’ O-Z’s to Mike P. and the one who made you O.D.” Melodramatic? Just a touch. Dope? Most definitely. If you’re fiending for more, keep it locked for the latest news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled release of Kelly’s #RagePack street album.
Written by richard on 10/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Leave Me Alone" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.