Though inspired by the notorious Prohibition-era gangster who helped popularize the term “G-Man,” Booth newcomer Machine Gun Kelly‘s stage name has less to do with literal firearms than with the Cleveland native’s knack for lightning-fast flows. On newly-released promo single Leave Me Alone, leaked back in October ‘09 but presented here in its finished form, the up-and-comer reminds us that technically dazzling rhymes and emotional resonance are in no way mutually exclusive. Backed by a reflective, acoustic guitar-synth instrumental by Booth-acclaimed duo Rock City (who also contribute a memorable hook), Kelly vents his frustrations regarding haters, self-doubt and, of course, the relentless grind, building momentum from his conversational opening bars to a double-time grand finale. The rapper ends the record with a promise to keep it one-hundred and not start “[living] like Miley Cyrus.” If he can hold to that, it’s a good bet the 19-year-old emcee has a bright future ahead of him. Digging this promo track? Keep it locked to the Booth for more from the promising up-and-comer.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Off Campus" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.