Though inspired by the notorious Prohibition-era gangster who helped popularize the term “G-Man,” Booth newcomer Machine Gun Kelly‘s stage name has less to do with literal firearms than with the Cleveland native’s knack for lightning-fast flows. On newly-released promo single Leave Me Alone, leaked back in October ‘09 but presented here in its finished form, the up-and-comer reminds us that technically dazzling rhymes and emotional resonance are in no way mutually exclusive. Backed by a reflective, acoustic guitar-synth instrumental by Booth-acclaimed duo Rock City (who also contribute a memorable hook), Kelly vents his frustrations regarding haters, self-doubt and, of course, the relentless grind, building momentum from his conversational opening bars to a double-time grand finale. The rapper ends the record with a promise to keep it one-hundred and not start “[living] like Miley Cyrus.” If he can hold to that, it’s a good bet the 19-year-old emcee has a bright future ahead of him. Digging this promo track? Keep it locked to the Booth for more from the promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 01/27/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Off Campus" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.