With a stage name seemingly designed to strike fear into the hearts of FOX News viewers, and an eccentrically fresh fashion sense (his wardrobe runs heavy on the luchador masks), Ernest “Mexicans With Guns” Gonzales has cultivated a persona as flamboyant and attention-grabbing as any of his on-the-mic counterparts. Does the Exponential Records beatsmith have a larger-than-life sound to match his image? Damn straight – and, judging by the flamespitters who join him on his Booth debut, he’s got connects to boot. On album leak Highway to Hell, MWG forgoes the obvious AC/DC sample (mercifully) in favor of something stark and street-ready, layering sizzling synths over kitchen-sink percussion as Gary Indiana phenom Freddie Gibbs and Lone Star State vet Bun B chronicle their unceasing, oft perilous paper chase. The result, packed with stone-cold lyricism and top-shelf flows, is just as, well, gangster as you’d expect. Intrigued by this masked beatsmith’s creatively hard-nosed style? You can expect plenty more fresh beats and high-caliber guests on Mexicans With Guns’ Ceremony LP, scheduled to drop soon.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.