With a stage name seemingly designed to strike fear into the hearts of FOX News viewers, and an eccentrically fresh fashion sense (his wardrobe runs heavy on the luchador masks), Ernest “Mexicans With Guns” Gonzales has cultivated a persona as flamboyant and attention-grabbing as any of his on-the-mic counterparts. Does the Exponential Records beatsmith have a larger-than-life sound to match his image? Damn straight – and, judging by the flamespitters who join him on his Booth debut, he’s got connects to boot. On album leak Highway to Hell, MWG forgoes the obvious AC/DC sample (mercifully) in favor of something stark and street-ready, layering sizzling synths over kitchen-sink percussion as Gary Indiana phenom Freddie Gibbs and Lone Star State vet Bun B chronicle their unceasing, oft perilous paper chase. The result, packed with stone-cold lyricism and top-shelf flows, is just as, well, gangster as you’d expect. Intrigued by this masked beatsmith’s creatively hard-nosed style? You can expect plenty more fresh beats and high-caliber guests on Mexicans With Guns’ Ceremony LP, scheduled to drop soon.
Written by richard on 03/9/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)