Simple as it may seem, raising your arms over your head is actually a complex, multi-step process involving three major muscle groups: the deltoids, the rotator cuffs and the triceps. Accordingly, Metis isn’t about to ask you to go through all that effort just because. On the final leak off his Booth-sponsored mixtape (an exclusive world premiere), the West Coast emcee explains why he and his music are well-deserving of the shoulder extension, shoulder flexion and elbow extension necessary to Get Them Up. !llmind mans the boards, layering ominous piano chords and shifty synths over a syncopated percussion rhythm as Metis lets listeners know what he’s all about. Emphasizing his global appeal (“I’m international, from chopsticks to Impalas.“) as well as his devotion to hip-hop music and culture (”Been hatin’ authority figures since Providence, and been lovin’ real hip-hop since Common Sense.”), the artist makes a damn convincing case for his dopeness. Does this cut have you waving your hands in the air? Then don’t miss the rest of the quality tuneage set to appear on Metis’ Whoo Kid-hosted Roark mixtape, due out Dec. 5. Also, watch for the official video for single The March to hit DJBoothTV in the next two weeks.
Written by richard on 11/14/11
Roark Records/Zaga Zow
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.