Metis may be—as he informed us on a his first Booth feature—a Champion, but behind every success story lies the support of a few quality friends. And on the flip side, the inability to distinguish real peeps from the fake has led to a good many catastrophic failures. On unreleased cut Do You Still, making its world premiere right here on our front page, the London-repping up-and-comer resolves not to make that crucial mistake. Jason Farsight handles production duties, cooking up a lush, anthemic synth beat to back the artist, who emphasizes the importance of sorting those who appreciate you for you from the opportunists and hangers-on: “All my peeps I chose carefully, ballin’ when I’m ballin, when I’m down a brother care for me / Err with me on the side of caution, navigate this fake industry I won’t get lost in.” Topped off with the artist’s own soaring hook vocals, this joint is proof that Metis has the right attitude to succeed in the game—as well as an eminently fresh listen in its own right. Though Do You Still isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those who like what they’re hearing can expect more Booth-exclusive premieres in the near future.
Written by richard on 07/11/11
Submit your Rating
Roark Records/Zaga Zow
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.