Damn, today’s a good day for motivational anthems. With GhostWridah mixtape standout Victory and now Metis’ hard-hustling Booth debut, I’m so pumped that… well, let’s just say I’m gonna write the f*ck out of today’s track reviews. While declaring yourself Champion on a first single is about as audacious as a runner striding up to the starting line already rocking a laurel wreath, rap is all about self confidence – and, even more importantly, the London buzzmaker seems to have the skills to back his bravado up. Over beatsmith James Reynolds’ swirling synths and booming percussion, Metis showcases a knack for lyrical imagery (“Advanced marksman, takin’ aim at the blank page with lance sharpened”) and a near-bottomless well of cultural allusions: “I’m Sitting Bull, Miyagi with this chopstick, Houdini to these locksmiths…” So, readers, think this ambitious upstart has what it takes to become what the title says? Then keep it locked for all the latest from Metis – including a forthcoming remix of Champion featuring Chitown heavyweight Lupe Fiasco.
Written by richard on 05/5/11
Submit your Rating
Roark Records/Zaga Zow
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You Still" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.