A Yo!, the lead single off Method Man & Redman‘s long-awaited sophomore album, saw the twosome enjoying some potent smokables as they rolled along their neighborhood streets. On this newly-released cut, we find Meth and Red doing, well, the exact same thing, except now they’re getting “toe up under City Lights,” and UGK are along are the ride! A sample from the late Pimp C sets the mood for a late-night banger before segueing into Red’s squinty-eyed opening verse. Both he and Meth’s laid-back rhymes feature a dash of Auto-Tune, but the effect’s use here is judicious and undoubtedly appropriate. The arguable highlight of the cut, though, is Bun B‘s amped-up contribution on the back end, in the course of which he tells off the po-po, flaunts his tricked-out-ride, and, of course, makes clear that it is and always will be UGK for Life. Nasty Kut’s synth-heavy instrumental gives City Lights a neon-tinted Southern feel, and the result is a cut that should get rotation in any region. Watch out for Blackout 2 to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 03/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Yo! ft. Saukrates" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.