A Yo!, the lead single off Method Man & Redman‘s long-awaited sophomore album, saw the twosome enjoying some potent smokables as they rolled along their neighborhood streets. On this newly-released cut, we find Meth and Red doing, well, the exact same thing, except now they’re getting “toe up under City Lights,” and UGK are along are the ride! A sample from the late Pimp C sets the mood for a late-night banger before segueing into Red’s squinty-eyed opening verse. Both he and Meth’s laid-back rhymes feature a dash of Auto-Tune, but the effect’s use here is judicious and undoubtedly appropriate. The arguable highlight of the cut, though, is Bun B‘s amped-up contribution on the back end, in the course of which he tells off the po-po, flaunts his tricked-out-ride, and, of course, makes clear that it is and always will be UGK for Life. Nasty Kut’s synth-heavy instrumental gives City Lights a neon-tinted Southern feel, and the result is a cut that should get rotation in any region. Watch out for Blackout 2 to drop this summer.
Written by richard on 03/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Yo! ft. Saukrates" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.