Though Nicole Scherzinger famously dominated the spotlight as frontwoman of the Pussycat Dolls, the singer’s solo career hasn’t been the graceful ascent to prominence that she may have hoped. Could it be that the real superstar was standing in the shadows all along? With the second Booth feature for crewmate Melody Thornton, we just might have to entertain the possibility. Retro-informed scorcher Sweet Vendetta finds Thornton trading the Dolls’ burlesque-pop style for a razor-sharp blend of old-school soul and modern pop. Backed by co-songwriters Church & State‘s Motown-esque rhythm section and atmospheric string/keyboard accents, the singer makes full use of her powerful pipes, chronicling how she rose like a Phoenix from the ashes of a failed relationship, even after being “stabbed in the back,” by the man she loves. Thronton’s passion and drive are crystal-clear, but does she have what it takes to make it as a solo soul diva? If you’re leaning towards the affirmative, keep it locked you-know-where for all the latest on her developing career.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.