Somehow I doubt you took the time to appreciate the vocal skills of the nouveau-burlesque girl group the Pussycat Dolls, but if you had somehow managed to close your eyes and just listen, you would have noticed that the group’s best voice belonged to the aptly named Melody Thornton. Now striking out on her own, Melody’s looking to attract ears as well as eyes with her new single and first Booth feature Love Gun. In an interview Thornton insisted her music would rely more on her ‘60s musical influence than the Doll’s pop leanings, and true to her word she recruits retro master Cee-Lo for the instantly engaging production, complete with surf guitar lines, head-nodding bounce and, of course, the occasional gun shot. More importantly it’s Melody’s vocals, delivered in a powerful but distinctly original style, that truly make Gun the explosive force it is. There’s no doubting the girl can sing. If you’re finding yourself struck by the force of Love Gun you might want to take cover before Melody unleashes the power of her full sonic artillery on her forthcoming untitled and unscheduled album.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.