On March 11, East Flatbush teen Kimani Gray was shot to death by two NYPD officers, who alleged (in contradiction to later eyewitness testimony) that the 16-year-old was carrying a revolver. In response, thousands (including yours truly) took to the streets for several weeks of protests against police brutality, one night of which erupted into a riot. On new single The Truth, Brooklyn emcee/beatsmith MeLo-X offers some retrospective commentary on the incident and his community’s explosive reaction, reminding listeners that the tensions that came to a boil in March tie into a broader pattern of racial and economic oppression. MeLo-X handles his own production, incorporating a snippet of Elliott Wilson’s online series, The Truth, into his synth-driven beat. The artist’s GOD:HiFi EP currently lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 06/12/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Is Forever" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.