On March 11, East Flatbush teen Kimani Gray was shot to death by two NYPD officers, who alleged (in contradiction to later eyewitness testimony) that the 16-year-old was carrying a revolver. In response, thousands (including yours truly) took to the streets for several weeks of protests against police brutality, one night of which erupted into a riot. On new single The Truth, Brooklyn emcee/beatsmith MeLo-X offers some retrospective commentary on the incident and his community’s explosive reaction, reminding listeners that the tensions that came to a boil in March tie into a broader pattern of racial and economic oppression. MeLo-X handles his own production, incorporating a snippet of Elliott Wilson’s online series, The Truth, into his synth-driven beat. The artist’s GOD:HiFi EP currently lacks a drop date but, as always, fans can keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 06/12/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"She Is Forever" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.