I’m not a superstitious person but, when something big is on the line, I’m not above tossing a penny or two into a nearby fountain. Sometimes, you simply need all the help you can get. Mélat knows what I’m talking about. On her latest single, the follow-up to mid-May’s reader-acclaimed Move Me, the Austin singer/songwriter makes a hefty donation to a Wishing Well, in hopes that it will improve her chances with a certain man. Will it be worth it? As she puts it over Pha the Phenom‘s reverberant beat, a minimal affair built around a cavernous rhythm section and slowly descending piano line, “Only time will tell…” This stripped-down joint could hardly be more different in mood from its infectious, high-energy predecessor—will it receive the same amount of love from Booth readers? Guess I, like Mélat, will simply have to wait and see. If you like what you’re hearing, more fresh tunes await on the artist’s recently-released Canon Aphaea tape, out now via her official site.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.