On her last feature, July’s Wishing Well, alt-R&B up-and-comer Mélat departed from the catchy, energetic style of her Booth debut to craft a quiet ballad suffused with romantic longing. The Austin-based singer’s latest EP single, Daphne, continues down the latter path, but features a menacing overtone not present in its predecessor. Producer Pha the Phenom‘s ominous strings and synths set the mood as Mélat tells the story of a woman whose headstrong behavior ultimately cost her her soul. Her lyrics are often cryptic, but her expressive vocals drive home the record’s haunting vibe. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Canon Ourania: The Illumination currently lacks a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.