On her last feature, July’s Wishing Well, alt-R&B up-and-comer Mélat departed from the catchy, energetic style of her Booth debut to craft a quiet ballad suffused with romantic longing. The Austin-based singer’s latest EP single, Daphne, continues down the latter path, but features a menacing overtone not present in its predecessor. Producer Pha the Phenom‘s ominous strings and synths set the mood as Mélat tells the story of a woman whose headstrong behavior ultimately cost her her soul. Her lyrics are often cryptic, but her expressive vocals drive home the record’s haunting vibe. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Canon Ourania: The Illumination currently lacks a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 11/7/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.