Can you really win someone’s heart back by pouring out your feelings on wax (or less anachronistically, in binary code)? Indie crooner Jason Caesar banked on the possibility on his latest effort, the DJBooth-premiered Radio, and now Melanie Fiona‘s attempting a similar strategy on her latest single, a cut which finds her reeling in the wake of a breakup with the man she loves, wondering, “How did I become The Wrong Side of a Love Song?” Leaked earlier than expected (according to the artist’s Twitter feed), this poignant single finds previously-featured artist/producer Jack Splash departing from the electro-funk grooves of his solo work to serve up a lush vintage-soul backdrop for the singer’s expressions of longing and regret. Fiona turns in a characteristically passionate performance on the vocal tip, building from wounded whispers to desperate melismatic runs over the course of the record. Will the man in question hear this jam and give her another chance at love? We can only hope. Whatever happens, though, soul fans will want to keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the May 8, arrival of Fiona’s long-delayed sophomore set, The MF Life.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Fiona’s Larenz Tate-directed Wrong Side of a Love Song visual.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.