Can you really win someone’s heart back by pouring out your feelings on wax (or less anachronistically, in binary code)? Indie crooner Jason Caesar banked on the possibility on his latest effort, the DJBooth-premiered Radio, and now Melanie Fiona‘s attempting a similar strategy on her latest single, a cut which finds her reeling in the wake of a breakup with the man she loves, wondering, “How did I become The Wrong Side of a Love Song?” Leaked earlier than expected (according to the artist’s Twitter feed), this poignant single finds previously-featured artist/producer Jack Splash departing from the electro-funk grooves of his solo work to serve up a lush vintage-soul backdrop for the singer’s expressions of longing and regret. Fiona turns in a characteristically passionate performance on the vocal tip, building from wounded whispers to desperate melismatic runs over the course of the record. Will the man in question hear this jam and give her another chance at love? We can only hope. Whatever happens, though, soul fans will want to keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the May 8, arrival of Fiona’s long-delayed sophomore set, The MF Life.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Fiona’s Larenz Tate-directed Wrong Side of a Love Song visual.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.