Back in December, when Gone & Never Coming Back was enjoying high ratings from DJBooth Nation, Melanie Fiona fans were anxiously awaiting a release for her cleverly/obscenely/punnily titled new album, The MF Life. Eight months later I don’t have to tell you that MF Life is nowhere to be found, so Melanie’s done what most in her delayed-album position have done; put together a mixtape. The first leak off the aforementioned The MF Life Mixtape is the cooled out Like I Love You, a reggae infused slow burner that draws its production identity from Supa Dups. For her part Melanie matches the beat’s relaxed vibe, refraining from her more explosive vocal fireworks and instead delivering a heartfelt, conversational performance that implores her man to returning the affections she so generously gives him. It’s an enjoyable ride, but not the kind of single you can picture rocketing up the charts; which is exactly what a mixtape leak is supposed to be. Speaking of which, no word yet on a release date for either the MFing mixtape or album, so you’ll just have to keep it locked to DJBooth for updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.