Back in December, when Gone & Never Coming Back was enjoying high ratings from DJBooth Nation, Melanie Fiona fans were anxiously awaiting a release for her cleverly/obscenely/punnily titled new album, The MF Life. Eight months later I don’t have to tell you that MF Life is nowhere to be found, so Melanie’s done what most in her delayed-album position have done; put together a mixtape. The first leak off the aforementioned The MF Life Mixtape is the cooled out Like I Love You, a reggae infused slow burner that draws its production identity from Supa Dups. For her part Melanie matches the beat’s relaxed vibe, refraining from her more explosive vocal fireworks and instead delivering a heartfelt, conversational performance that implores her man to returning the affections she so generously gives him. It’s an enjoyable ride, but not the kind of single you can picture rocketing up the charts; which is exactly what a mixtape leak is supposed to be. Speaking of which, no word yet on a release date for either the MFing mixtape or album, so you’ll just have to keep it locked to DJBooth for updates.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.