As Ghostface proved on his most recent album Ghostdini, the Wu-Tang alum’s storytelling skills make him a natural fit for any great r&b track, so before I even listened to the remix to Melanie Fiona’s It Kills Me (which is currently blowing up our Top Picks chart) I knew the song would be a killer. Sure enough Melanie and Ghost didn’t disappoint, delivering a gut-wrenching duet that takes us deep inside their rocky hypothetical relationship. While the original cut’s deeply soulful and gospel-tinged production by Jay Fenix and Andrea Martin soars in the background, Melanie’s gripping vocals once again take center stage, with Ghost predictably playing the role of the cheating boyfriend (he apparently got his Tiger Woods on). I could be critical and say Ghost’s verse isn’t one of his best (true), but this song moves me so much I don’t care. For more great music from Fiona be sure to check out her new album The Bridge, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.