2009 is set to be a busy year for SRC Records; after releasing albums by their flagship artists, David Banner and Akon, and introducing the world to Shontelle in ‘08, Steve Rifkind and his team are getting ready to release new LPs by heavyweights like Camp Lo and Cam’ron, as well as dropping debut albums by acclaimed acts like as Asher Roth, O’Neal McKnight, and Shire. One of Steve Rifkind’s other buzzworthy signings goes by the name of Melanie Fiona. A Guyanese-Canadian talent with music in her blood, she incorporates influences ranging from pop to soul, and is preparing to release her fittingly-titled freshman effort, The Bridge. Her debut single, Give It to Me, combines both of the aforementioned genres, pairing Melanie’s alto vocals with Andrea Martin‘s classic sample of The Zombies’ 1968 hit, Time of the Season. When The Bridge drops on May 12, expect critical acclaim in the Booth and elsewhere. After all, a certain young woman with a very similar voice was introduced last year, and she’s the Runner-Up/Staff Pick for Best New Artist of ‘08 (Signed).
Written by Burmy on 01/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It To Me Right (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes & Raekwon" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.