2009 is set to be a busy year for SRC Records; after releasing albums by their flagship artists, David Banner and Akon, and introducing the world to Shontelle in ‘08, Steve Rifkind and his team are getting ready to release new LPs by heavyweights like Camp Lo and Cam’ron, as well as dropping debut albums by acclaimed acts like as Asher Roth, O’Neal McKnight, and Shire. One of Steve Rifkind’s other buzzworthy signings goes by the name of Melanie Fiona. A Guyanese-Canadian talent with music in her blood, she incorporates influences ranging from pop to soul, and is preparing to release her fittingly-titled freshman effort, The Bridge. Her debut single, Give It to Me, combines both of the aforementioned genres, pairing Melanie’s alto vocals with Andrea Martin‘s classic sample of The Zombies’ 1968 hit, Time of the Season. When The Bridge drops on May 12, expect critical acclaim in the Booth and elsewhere. After all, a certain young woman with a very similar voice was introduced last year, and she’s the Runner-Up/Staff Pick for Best New Artist of ‘08 (Signed).
Written by Burmy on 01/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It To Me Right (Remix) ft. Busta Rhymes & Raekwon" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.