As a hip-hop fan with musical tastes that range beyond the genre’s boundaries, I keep a running mental list entitled “Songs Someone Should Hurry up and Sample.” For example, I’ve long thought the first few bars of The Clash’s Straight to Hell had the makings of a hip-hop hit, and M.I.A. proved me right with Paper Planes. Similarly, I’ve been waiting quite a while to hear someone spit over the Zombies’ Time of the Season, and though Andrea Martin‘s beat on R&B up-and-comer Melanie Fiona‘s debut single, Give It to Me Right, made good use of the sample, that itch sadly remained unscratched—until now. For the record’s remix, Busta Rhymes and Raekwon the Chef jump on board to let the singer know just how they plan to give it to her, making a catchy song—and a great sample—even more fun to listen to. If you agree, be sure to grab a copy of Fiona’s debut LP, The Bridge, when it hits stores this May, and don’t forget to check out our brand new, exclusive interview with the rising star.
Written by richard on 03/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.