As a hip-hop fan with musical tastes that range beyond the genre’s boundaries, I keep a running mental list entitled “Songs Someone Should Hurry up and Sample.” For example, I’ve long thought the first few bars of The Clash’s Straight to Hell had the makings of a hip-hop hit, and M.I.A. proved me right with Paper Planes. Similarly, I’ve been waiting quite a while to hear someone spit over the Zombies’ Time of the Season, and though Andrea Martin‘s beat on R&B up-and-comer Melanie Fiona‘s debut single, Give It to Me Right, made good use of the sample, that itch sadly remained unscratched—until now. For the record’s remix, Busta Rhymes and Raekwon the Chef jump on board to let the singer know just how they plan to give it to her, making a catchy song—and a great sample—even more fun to listen to. If you agree, be sure to grab a copy of Fiona’s debut LP, The Bridge, when it hits stores this May, and don’t forget to check out our brand new, exclusive interview with the rising star.
Written by richard on 03/5/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)