No, Melanie Fiona hasn’t taken to traveling strapped—at least I hope not, since that sh*t really doesn’t fly north of the border. Contrary to what countless rap records have trained me to expect, the T-Dot songstress’ new promo single refers not to a “piece” of the stainless steel variety, but to a certain “Cold Piece of work” she used to call her man. Her first feature since January 2012’s The Wrong Side of a Love Song (not counting her recent guest turn on Raekwon‘s Soundboy Kill It), this cut finds Fiona once again suffering from the pain of heartbreak. Over Alan Nglish‘s hip hop-infused production, the singer excoriates the dude in question for playing with her heart and walking out the door. Though she delivers her kiss-offs with the appropriate dash of venom, her vocals are as effortlessly smooth and appealing as ever. Cold Piece isn’t attached to any larger project but, now that Fiona’s got our attention, I have a feeling more fresh material might be on the way. Whatever the case may be, we’ll keep your posted.
Written by richard on 06/30/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.