Like so many other up-and-comers before her, rising soul star Melanie Fiona is looking to stir up anticipation for her debut full-length with an official prelude mixtape—well, sort of; as the Roots’ ?uestlove, Fiona’s collaborator on the project, explained in a video featured last month, Melanie Fiona Meets the Illadelphonics will be neither a “mix” nor a “tape,” but a collection of live remixes of cuts off her LP. Be that as it may, leaked track Ay Yo sounds much more like a finished track than an off-the-cuff jam session. Singing over ?uest and the Illadelphonics’ lush, bossanova-esque instrumental accompaniment (featuring a reverb-drenched percussion rhythm by ?uest himself), Fiona sounds just as natural as she did over Andrea Martin‘s Zombies-sampling beat on her Booth-acclaimed debut single, Give It to Me Right. Though Ay Yo‘s official album version has yet to be released, it’s hard to imagine this infectious interpretation not doing the song justice; in any case, this high-quality performance is sure to get fans excited about seeing Fiona live, as well as raising anticipation for the impending releases of both the prelude “mixtape” and Fiona’s forthcoming full-length, The Bridge.
Written by richard on 07/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.