Like so many other up-and-comers before her, rising soul star Melanie Fiona is looking to stir up anticipation for her debut full-length with an official prelude mixtape—well, sort of; as the Roots’ ?uestlove, Fiona’s collaborator on the project, explained in a video featured last month, Melanie Fiona Meets the Illadelphonics will be neither a “mix” nor a “tape,” but a collection of live remixes of cuts off her LP. Be that as it may, leaked track Ay Yo sounds much more like a finished track than an off-the-cuff jam session. Singing over ?uest and the Illadelphonics’ lush, bossanova-esque instrumental accompaniment (featuring a reverb-drenched percussion rhythm by ?uest himself), Fiona sounds just as natural as she did over Andrea Martin‘s Zombies-sampling beat on her Booth-acclaimed debut single, Give It to Me Right. Though Ay Yo‘s official album version has yet to be released, it’s hard to imagine this infectious interpretation not doing the song justice; in any case, this high-quality performance is sure to get fans excited about seeing Fiona live, as well as raising anticipation for the impending releases of both the prelude “mixtape” and Fiona’s forthcoming full-length, The Bridge.
Written by richard on 07/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.