As a general rule, unless it involves sleeping soundly, nothing good happens at four in the morning. If you’re still up that close to dawn you’re either a NBA player getting arrested for a strip club shooting, a diagnosed insomniac or a heartbroken soul mourning the loss of their lover. Melanie Fiona falls firmly into the heartbroken category on new single 4 AM, a slowly smoking cut that finds the always soulful singer driven sleepless wondering where her man is at that late hour (if he’s in the NBA, he’s probably at a strip club). Producer Rico Love (and Earl & E) breaks out his minimalist R&B playbook, creating a hazy and synth driven beat complete with the kind of leaky-faucet percussion guaranteed to keep you up all night. Vocally, befitting the beat Fiona takes a more restrained approach, voicing her anger at a man too stupid to realize what he has with her in weary yet still-strong tones. 4 AM is set to appear on Melanie’s upcoming and fantastically titled album The MF Life, not to be confused with her also upcoming The MF Life Mixtape, set for release October 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.