As a general rule, unless it involves sleeping soundly, nothing good happens at four in the morning. If you’re still up that close to dawn you’re either a NBA player getting arrested for a strip club shooting, a diagnosed insomniac or a heartbroken soul mourning the loss of their lover. Melanie Fiona falls firmly into the heartbroken category on new single 4 AM, a slowly smoking cut that finds the always soulful singer driven sleepless wondering where her man is at that late hour (if he’s in the NBA, he’s probably at a strip club). Producer Rico Love (and Earl & E) breaks out his minimalist R&B playbook, creating a hazy and synth driven beat complete with the kind of leaky-faucet percussion guaranteed to keep you up all night. Vocally, befitting the beat Fiona takes a more restrained approach, voicing her anger at a man too stupid to realize what he has with her in weary yet still-strong tones. 4 AM is set to appear on Melanie’s upcoming and fantastically titled album The MF Life, not to be confused with her also upcoming The MF Life Mixtape, set for release October 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.