As a general rule, unless it involves sleeping soundly, nothing good happens at four in the morning. If you’re still up that close to dawn you’re either a NBA player getting arrested for a strip club shooting, a diagnosed insomniac or a heartbroken soul mourning the loss of their lover. Melanie Fiona falls firmly into the heartbroken category on new single 4 AM, a slowly smoking cut that finds the always soulful singer driven sleepless wondering where her man is at that late hour (if he’s in the NBA, he’s probably at a strip club). Producer Rico Love (and Earl & E) breaks out his minimalist R&B playbook, creating a hazy and synth driven beat complete with the kind of leaky-faucet percussion guaranteed to keep you up all night. Vocally, befitting the beat Fiona takes a more restrained approach, voicing her anger at a man too stupid to realize what he has with her in weary yet still-strong tones. 4 AM is set to appear on Melanie’s upcoming and fantastically titled album The MF Life, not to be confused with her also upcoming The MF Life Mixtape, set for release October 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It to Me" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.