It’s hard to tell, after just a couple listens, whether a dope record has truly timeless appeal, but this I know for certain: this joint, the first Booth feature from Californian emcee MED, is “Classic.” Yep, that’s definitely the title – and, jokes aside, it’s also a damned good track. Here, the up-and-comer joins forces with conscious vet Talib Kweli to do a little reminiscing about the music we all know and love. Karriem Riggins keeps things relatively subdued on the production tip, serving up a short soul loop backed with gritty percussion as the collaborators deliver their sharpest lyrical insights – one of the most memorable being this forward-looking pearl of wisdom from Kweli: “I witnessed the death of the CD / Liberate yourself from that format and be free .” Whether or not you think this joint lives up to its lofty title, it’s looking like underground heads have a lot to look forward to on MED.‘s forthcoming, yet-untitled full-length. If you’re a fan, keep it locked for the latest release details on the project.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Where I'm From" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.