Quick, hum a tune from the Rocky soundtrack—one that isn’t Gonna Fly Now. If you succeeded, then you’re probably old enough to appreciate what newcomer MCMF has to say on his first Booth feature and latest single, Take U Back. Here, the Jersey rapper/producer showcases his skills on both sides of the boards, chopping and looping the iconic ‘Doo-doo-doo-doo‘s from Bill Conti’s Take It Back (Street Corner Song) as he and a fellow Northeastern rhymesayer express their undying affection for 1970s popular culture. After the headliner’s done reminiscing about the ‘Me’ Decade’s most memorable news events (“My flow Watergate, so mad hoes Deepthroat.”) and entertainment (“Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee / Hotbox the Mystery van dog, yeah it’s Scooby.”), freestyle alum Donny Goines grabs the mic to offer a street-level perspective on the decade, referencing the growing popularity of cocaine and the rise of the Black Panther Party. Even if you weren’t alive to experience the ‘70s, this joint packs a powerfully nostalgic punch. Those digging it can look forward to more dope tunes on MCMF’s I Can Rap tape, set for release in May.
Written by richard on 02/5/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.