Quick, hum a tune from the Rocky soundtrack—one that isn’t Gonna Fly Now. If you succeeded, then you’re probably old enough to appreciate what newcomer MCMF has to say on his first Booth feature and latest single, Take U Back. Here, the Jersey rapper/producer showcases his skills on both sides of the boards, chopping and looping the iconic ‘Doo-doo-doo-doo‘s from Bill Conti’s Take It Back (Street Corner Song) as he and a fellow Northeastern rhymesayer express their undying affection for 1970s popular culture. After the headliner’s done reminiscing about the ‘Me’ Decade’s most memorable news events (“My flow Watergate, so mad hoes Deepthroat.”) and entertainment (“Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee / Hotbox the Mystery van dog, yeah it’s Scooby.”), freestyle alum Donny Goines grabs the mic to offer a street-level perspective on the decade, referencing the growing popularity of cocaine and the rise of the Black Panther Party. Even if you weren’t alive to experience the ‘70s, this joint packs a powerfully nostalgic punch. Those digging it can look forward to more dope tunes on MCMF’s I Can Rap tape, set for release in May.
Written by richard on 02/5/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)