You might not think of it to look at the picture to the left, but McKenzie Eddy and Jay-Z have a lot in common. You see, in addition to their individual artistic pursuits both Hova and Eddy pull double duty as label founders. When she’s not running DD172 – home to Murs, Ski Beatz and more – McKenzie is busy putting together songs like Windmills, an entrancing, genre-busting offering that’s earned Eddy a DJBooth debut. The aforementioned Mr. Beatz runs production duty here, taking his foot off the hip-hop gas pedal and applying the brakes to form a deeply organic and mellowed groove. From there it’s completely the headliner’s show as she displays a powerful yet understated vocal style that, paired with elliptical lyrics, will inspire no shortage of repeat listens (if only to decode). By way of complete contrast Chicago vet GLC closes out Windmills with a verse about a topic that’s near and dear to his heart; stone cold pimpin. Honestly, with an introduction like this I couldn’t possibly tell you what to expect on Eddy’s Young Platinum album, but those intrigued should find out for themselves and go cop it now.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/27/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.