You might not think of it to look at the picture to the left, but McKenzie Eddy and Jay-Z have a lot in common. You see, in addition to their individual artistic pursuits both Hova and Eddy pull double duty as label founders. When she’s not running DD172 – home to Murs, Ski Beatz and more – McKenzie is busy putting together songs like Windmills, an entrancing, genre-busting offering that’s earned Eddy a DJBooth debut. The aforementioned Mr. Beatz runs production duty here, taking his foot off the hip-hop gas pedal and applying the brakes to form a deeply organic and mellowed groove. From there it’s completely the headliner’s show as she displays a powerful yet understated vocal style that, paired with elliptical lyrics, will inspire no shortage of repeat listens (if only to decode). By way of complete contrast Chicago vet GLC closes out Windmills with a verse about a topic that’s near and dear to his heart; stone cold pimpin. Honestly, with an introduction like this I couldn’t possibly tell you what to expect on Eddy’s Young Platinum album, but those intrigued should find out for themselves and go cop it now.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/27/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.